Orange & Chocolate Chip Cake
I don't do a lot of baking so when I do it has to be easy. This cake comes from my favourite kiwi cook, Annabel Langbein. Just throw the ingredients into a food processor, easy! I've made a few changes to make it slightly healthier but still yum.
- 1 large orange (unpeeled)
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 125gms softened butter
- 1 cup sugar (I used 1/2 cup stevia; 1/2 cup coconut sugar)
- 2 free range eggs
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 2 cups chickpea flour
- 1 cup cocoa nibs (or sultanas/raisins or chocolate chips)
- 1/2 cup chopped walnuts
- Preheat oven to 160 deg C. Grease a 20cm diameter cake tin and
- Cut the orange into quarters, remove the seeds and whizz in a food processor until finely chopped.
- Dissolve baking soda in 1/2 cup water and add to the food processor with butter, sugar, eggs, vanilla and flour. Whizz to combine. Add cocoa nibs and walnuts and stir with a spoon or pulse several times to just combine (don’t whizz them or they will break up)
- Pour into prepared cake tin and bake until a skewer inserted into the centre comes out clean. (about 35 minutes)
- Orange lightening cake will keep in an airtight container for up to a week or can be frozen.