This one will not win a beauty contest but the taste is superb especially considering the ingredients are simple and it only takes 30 minutes to cook.
- 1 1/2 tbsp olive oil
- 1-2 cups of button mushrooms (or whatever is in season), quartered
- 1 onion, finely diced
- 1 tbsp flour (I use wholemeal but rice or white could be substituted)
- 1 tbsp mild curry paste or powder
- 1/3 cup white wine (or vegetable stock or water)
- 400g can chopped tomatoes
- 1 tbsp tomato paste
- 2 x 400g beans, drained & rinsed - I use whatever is in the cupboard. I've cooked this with kidney beans, white beans & chickpeas - it's always good
- 3 tbsp mango chutney - I've started experiencing with other fruit chutney's. Last time I used half mango and half kiwifruit & banana chutney which I bought from a local market from some talented elderly lady. So good!
- 3 tbsp roughly chopped fresh coriander and mint - optional but the fresh herbs do add to this dish
- Heat oil in a large pan over a low heat & cook the mushrooms & onion until soft and golden.
- Stir in flour & curry paste, then cook for 1-2 minutes before adding the wine/water, can of tomatoes, tomato paste & beans.
- Bring to the boil, then simmer gently for 30 minutes or until most of the liquid has reduced.
- Stir in the chutney & fresh herbs just before serving. Enjoy!