Gwyneth's Grilled Squid, White Bean and Fennel Salad
- 500g of calamari - I just used some frozen pieces but if you can get fresh even better!
- 4 tbsp olive oil
- 1 lemon, zest & juice
- Freshly ground salt & pepper
- pinch of chili flakes
- couple of large handfuls of salad i.e, arugula or baby spinach works well
- 2 small or 1 large fennel bulb, thinly sliced
- 400g can cannellini beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 medium shallot or red onion, thinly sliced
- large handful fresh parsley, chopped
- large pinch of coarse sea salt
- Basil Oil (see below)
I didn't have any Basil oil so substituted Mint and it worked well.
In a blender or food processor throw in 1/2 cup lightly packed fresh mint (or basil) leaves, roughly chopped; 1/4 cup olive oil; 1 garlic clove and blend until smooth(ish) add salt to taste.
- Toss calamari with 1 tablespoon of olive oil, half the lemon zest, pinch of salt and a few grinds of pepper and half the chili flakes.
- Place salad greens into large platter and add the fennel, beans, shallot, parsley, remaining lemon zest, lemon juice, coarse salt, remaining chili flakes and remaining 3 tablespoons of olive oil and toss to combine.
- Heat a fry pan over high heat; cook the squid until just charred and crispy, about 5 minutes.
- Add squid to the salad and garnish with Mint oil. Enjoy!