Upside-down Onion Tart
You don't need many ingredients to throw this yummy tart together, serve it with a simple green salad, crumble over some salty feta and viola!
takes about 40 minutes
- 200 grams ready made puff pastry
- 4-6 medium onions, peeled & sliced
- small knob of butter
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 tbsp balsamic vinegar
- sea salt & freshly ground pepper
- Preheat oven to 190oC.
- Peel onions and slice into 6 or 8 wedges.
- Heat the butter & oil in an ovenproof frying pan over a medium heat.
- Add the onions arranging them roughly in a concentric pattern. Sprinkle with salt & pepper & cook for around 20 minutes, turning once or twice, until they are fairly tender and starting to caramelise around the edges.
- Trickle the balsamic vinegar over the onions and cook for a couple of minutes more so the vinegar reduces a little. Remove from the heat and make sure the onions are fairly evenly spread around the pan. Remove from heat.
- Roll out the pastry to a 3-4mm thickness and cut into a circle.
- Lay the circle over the onions tucking the edges down & pop pan into the oven.
- Bake for 20 minutes or until the pastry is fully puffed up & golden.
- Invert the tart on to a plate so the sticky caramelised onions are facing up, on top of the crispy pastry. Serve straight away with a green leafy salad and crumble over some of your favourite salty cheese like feta. Enjoy!