Remembering my very talented brother who passed away a year ago. I know you would have loved this pie Wiremu.
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 2 large onions, chopped
- 1 fennel bulb, sliced, add some chopped up fronds if your fennel comes with them
- 2 stalks celery, sliced
- 1 carrot, diced
- 4 garlic bulbs, minced
- 1 lemon, zest
- handful chopped fresh herbs such as parsley, thyme and rosemary
- 1 smoked fish, flaked, skinned & boned - I used snapper which is soft & moist
- 1 small beef (or pork) chorizo, sliced
- 1 tsp smoked paprika
- milk (about 1/4 of a cup)
- 1 tsp cornflour mixed in water to dissolve
- 1 sheet of flaky pastry
- Preheat oven to 200°C.
- Pour oil into large frying pan or pot over low heat.
- Fry onions, fennel, celery, carrot, garlic, lemon zest & herbs until onion is soft.
- Add smoked fish, chorizo & paprika.
- Mix well then add enough milk to just cover.
- Bring to the boil then thicken with cornflour dissolved in cold water.
- Allow to cool then spoon into a pie dish & cover with pastry.
- Brush top with beaten egg or milk. Cut slits in the top & bake for 20 minutes. If you have any left over pastry you can make some designs for the top of the pie. Enjoy!