Whipped up (or should that be tossed up??) this salad tonight to go with a simple seared Tuna steak. Adapted from Cuisine with a few short cuts thrown in it had us both fighting for the last bits on the plate...not a bad result for a salad!
- 2-3 gloves of garlic
- sea salt
- freshly cracked pepper
- 1/4 cup of pine nuts, toasted
- 1 lemon, juiced
- 3 tbsp olive oil
- 4 tbsp grated parmesan cheese
- 2 large bunches of asparagus, woody ends snapped off, blanched
- 1/4 fennel bulb, tough outer layer removed, sliced very thin
- 3-4 cups baby spinach, washed
- 4-6 balls of bocconcini, coarsely torn into chunks (or mozzarella or feta cheese)
- Place garlic, sprinkle of sea salt & crack of pepper, pine nuts, lemon juice, olive oil and half the parmesan cheese in a narrow bowl or jug and whizz with a hand held or wand mixer until everything is mixed. Make sure the pine nuts are all chopped up, add more oil if dressing is too thick but I prefer it thicker rather than runny. Set aside in the fridge.
- Prepare the salad - cook asparagus in salted boiling for about a minute, drain then blanch in cold water. When cooled sliced in half down the middle. Place into a large salad bowl along with the thinly sliced fennel, baby spinach and bocconcini.
- Pour over dressing, sprinkle over rest of the grated parmesan cheese and enjoy!