takes 45 minutes to cook risotto but no stirring required
- 4 Tbsp butter or olive oil
- 1 large brown onion, peeled & roughly chopped
- 4-6 garlic gloves, peeled and roughly chopped
- 1 cup medium grain brown rice (I used a mix of wild, brown & black rice)
- 500g peeled & grated beetroot (about 6 medium sizes beets)
- 3 cups vegetable stock
- 1/2 block feta, crumbled or parmesan cheese, finely grated
- fresh thyme leaves, to garnish (or sage etc works too)
- Melt 2 Tbsp of the butter in a large pan over a medium heat. Add the onion & garlic and cook stirring occasionally for about 10 minutes until soft and slightly brown.
- Add the rice and cook, stirring gently for 5 minutes or until grains are toasted & fragrant.
- Reduce the heat to low, add the beetroot, stock & 500ml (2 cups) of water. Simmer uncovered for about 45 minutes, until most of the liquid has been absorbed.
- Stir in remaining butter and half the cheese. Add a large pinch of sea salt & freshly ground black pepper.
- Divide the risotto among 4 bowls, serve warm sprinkled with thyme and remaining cheese. Enjoy!
Source: My Petite Kitchen Cookbook by Eleanor Ozich