serves 2-4 depends how many eggs you like
takes about 15 minutes
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 4 cloves garlic, crushed
- 1 tsp each: smoked paprika, ground cumin, ground coriander OR
- 3 tsp mixed spices
- 1 pepper - can use red, yellow or green, chopped (or use roasted peppers from a jar, which I normally have in the fridge)
- 1/2 tsp dried chilli flakes OR ground chilli OR hot sauce
- Sea salt
- Freshly cracked pepper
- 1 tin chopped tomatoes
- 1-2 tins beans, drained, such as red kidney, black beans, cannellini, most types will work. How many you use depends on how many you are feeding
- 4 free range eggs
- sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
- shaved parmesan, to serve (optional)
- Heat olive oil in a large frying pan and cook onion, garlic,
- Add tomatoes, and beans and simmer over a gentle heat until thick and rich. Depending on how soon you want to eat, this can take 10 minutes or you can simmer for up to 30 minutes if you have the time.
- Make 4 dents or holes in the spicy tomato bean sauce and crack an egg into each one. I put them in a cup first in case egg shell slips in.
- Cover the frying pan (I usually throw a wooden chopping board over the top) and poach the eggs for about 3-4 minutes or until the whites are set but the yolks are still runny.
- Serve with some toasted chunky ciabatta or Vogels & shaved parmesan for an extra comfort kick. Enjoy!