- 800g chuck steak, cubed (or any good stewing steak)
- 6 lamb kidneys, remove any membranes from the kidney and slice each one in half lengthwise, cut out the hard core using a small sharp knife then cut into pieces
- 1 large onion, peeled and sliced thinly
- 200g mushrooms, I used large portobellos (double if you aren't
- 1 bay leaf
- 2-4 sprigs of fresh thyme
- 1 cup beef stock
- 2 carrots, peeled & chopped - I used purple carrots just because they are in season
- 1 leek, sliced
- 2 tbsp cornflour, mixed with 1/4 cup of water
- salt & freshly ground pepper
- 2 tbsp fresh parsley
- 350g shortcrust or puff pastry
- Place steak, kidneys, onions, mushrooms, bay leaf, thyme, carrots, leek & beef stock in a pot, cover & simmer on lowest heat for 1 1/4 hours. Add some water if it looks like it's drying out.
- Stir in cornflour paste to thicken.
- Season well and add in fresh parsley. Cool then place in a pie dish & cover with pastry (enamel pie dishes are great with puff pastry).
- Bake at 200oC for about 30 minutes or until pastry is puffed & golden. Serve with mashed potatoes and enjoy!
inspired by Annabel Langbein