A wonderful mixture of spices bring this dish to life. You can prepare the spice mix and store as I can guarantee you will want to make this again! If you are missing some of the spices just leave out but the key ones here are pepper, cumin, coriander & turmeric.
- 1/2 tbsp ground black pepper
- 1/2 tbsp ground cumin
- 1/2 tbsp ground cardamom
- 1 tsp ground turmeric
- 1/4 tsp ground caraway
- 1/4 tsp ground coriander seeds
- 1/4 tsp ground cloves
- 1/4 tsp ground coriander leaves
- 2-3 tbsp olive oil
- 2 large onions, diced
- 3-4 cloves of garlic, chopped finely or crushed
- 2 carrots, diced
- 1 cup mushrooms, sliced thickly
- 1 large chicken breast, cut into 4cm pieces
- 2 tomatoes, grated - how to grate tomatoes>
- 1 cup Israeli couscous OR 2 cups normal couscous
- 1 tbsp spice mix
- 1/2 tsp curry powder
- 1/2 tsp turmeric
- salt & freshly cracked pepper
- 2 cups boiling stock - I used vegetable as I had some left over but you can use chicken or just plain boiling water
- fresh coriander to serve (optional)
- Heat 1 tbsp oil in a fry pan over high heat, add chicken (might
- Heat 1-2 tbsp oil in a large saucepan over medium heat, add onions & garlic and saute until soft.
- Add carrots & mushrooms and cook for another 4 minutes or until mushrooms are slightly brown.
- Add tomatoes, couscous & spices and pour in boiling stock or water. Mix, taste and adjust seasoning if required.
- Bring to the boil, lower heat and cook covered for 10 minutes.
- Add the chicken and continue simmering until most of the liquid is absorbed - another 10 minutes.
- Add fresh coriander before serving and enjoy!