I choose this recipe of Bill Granger's as I needed a quick, healthy chicken recipe but boy was I surprised by the fantastic flavours and moist chicken. Definitely a repeater. For the poaching liquid use whatever you have on hand, throw in some fresh herbs, use stock or wine or vodka to give it that extra zing.
takes 30 minutes
takes 30 minutes
- 3 coriander stems or parsley, leaves and all OR whatever fresh herbs you have
- 1 tsp black peppercorns
- 2 spring onions or chives, roughly chopped (optional)
- 1 tsp sea salt
- 2 skinless chicken breast fillets
- 1 red chilli, finely sliced to serve OR sprinkle of dried chilli flakes
- steamed rice, I used black rice but again, whatever you have on hand
- Get your rice on as black rice can take up to 30 minutes
- Then get your beans on for the salad below
- Place your chosen herbs, peppercorns, spring onion and salt into a saucepan and place chicken breasts on top, pour cold water over the top so chicken breasts are just covered.
- Bring to the boil then remove from heat, cover with a lid and leave to poach for 15 minutes.
- Once cool, slice chicken into 2 cm rounds, place on a serving plate and sprinkle with chilli and serve with the Sesame Bean Salad.
- 1 cup green beans, trimmed & halved
- 2 tbsp soy sauce
- 2 tbsp rice vinegar
- 2 tbsp mirin
- 1 tbsp sesame oil
- 3 garlic cloves, finely chopped or smashed
- 1 tbsp grated ginger
- 1 tbsp sesame seeds
- Blanch beans in a pot of lightly salted water for 2-3 minutes until they are bright green. Rinse under cold water.
- To make the dressing, in a small pot place soy sauce, vinegar, mirin and sesame oil & bring to the boil. Take pan off the heat and add garlic, ginger & sesame seeds. Enjoy!