To make a real quick version during the week I buy some frozen dumplings. When I have time I make my own. I don't eat pork so I use minced chicken and prawns instead. Enjoy!
- 4 shiitake mushrooms - chopped. I used fresh but you can use dried porcini mushrooms. You will need to soak them for 20-30mins, drain & finely chop, keep the mushroom stock and add to soup
- 100g raw prawns, peeled & finely chopped
- 100g minced free range chicken
- 4 water chestnuts, finely chopped (optional)
- 4 spring onions (or shallots or fresh chives), trimmed & finely sliced
- 1 free range egg white
- salt & freshly ground pepper
- 1 1/2 tsp cornflour
- 1 packet fresh wonton wrappers
- 2 litres chicken stock
- 2 cm piece root ginger, minced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced or finely chopped
- 1-2 lime kaffir leaves
- 1 tsp fresh chilli, deseeded & finely chopped
- 100g pak choi, washed & shredded (or anything 'choi')
- Pour stock into a large pot (you want the wontons to move around), add the ginger, garlic & lime kaffir leaf. Bring to the boil then let it simmer while you prepare the wontons.
- Mix cornflour with 1 tbsp cold water to make a paste. Or just use water although I find the cornflour helps them stick better
- Mix chicken, prawns, water chestnuts, onions, egg white, chilli, mushrooms and season with salt & pepper. Mix well.
- Moisten edges of each wrapper then drop about a tsp in the middle of each one or use 2 wrappers per wonton, place tsp in middle and wet edges before placing 2nd wrapper on top. I used a fork to bring the edges together.
- Makes about 26 wontons
- Bring stock back to boil, add wontons then simmer for 5 minutes. Stir in the pak choi & cook for a further 2 minutes or until the pak choi is tender and wontons have floated to the surface and cooked through.
- Serve & sprinkle with spring onions or garnish of your choice. Enjoy!