takes 40 minutes
for the palak puree:
- 1 large bunch fresh spinach leaves OR silverbeet washed & roughly chopped (I take the large stems off)
- 1 or 2 green chilies, deseeded, roughly chopped
- 2-4 garlic gloves, peeled
- ½ inch ginger, roughly chopped
- 2 tbsp oil or coconut oil
- 1 tsp cumin seeds
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 4-5 garlic gloves, finely chopped
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 can chopped tomatoes
- ¼ tsp turmeric powder
- ½ tsp red chili powder
- ½ tsp garam masala powder
- 200g paneer or tofu, cut into 5cm cubes
- Greek yoghurt or cream for serving
- Rice or naan bread for serving
To make the spinach puree:
- Place the leaves in a saucepan, sprinkle with rock salt and cover with a small amount of water then boil until it just wilts then drain.
- Squeeze most of the water out of the spinach and add to food processor along with the chilli, garlic & ginger and blend until smooth. Set aside.
- Heat oil in a pan over a medium-high heat
- Add cumin seeds, garlic, onion & bay leaf and cook until the onion becomes soft
- Stir in the tomatoes, turmeric powder, chilli powder and garam masala and simmer for 10 minutes.
- Add the paneer cubes and simmer gently for 5 minutes then add the spinach puree and continue to simmer for another 5 minutes
- Serve with yoghurt, rice or naan bread on the side and enjoy!