This stock went well in the Chicken Casserole and Prawn Dumpling soup.
- 2 tbsp vegetable oil
- 2 red onions, sliced
- large knob of fresh ginger (8-10cm), peeled & thickly sliced
- 10 garlic cloves, crushed
- 1 tbsp salt
- 3 carrots, sliced
- 6 celery sticks, sliced
- bunch spring onions, trimmed & halved
- bunch coriander, stems & roots only, washed & chopped
- 6 litres cold water
- Heat oil in a large stock pot over high heat. Add onions, ginger, garlic and salt & fry for a couple of minutes.
- Add carrots, celery, spring onions and coriander, reduce heat to medium-high and fry, stirring often, for a further 5 minutes or until veges are lightly browned.
- Add water to pot and bring to boil.
- Reduce heat to a gentle simmer, skimming the surface with a ladle to remove any impurities. Simmer for 1 hour, skimming as required.
- Strained stock through fine sieve (lined with muslin if required) and cool. Store in the refrigerator for up to 5 days or in the freezer for 2-3 months.